Our Mushroom Compost is made from a combination of straw, coco peat, spent mushroom and pasteurised chicken manure. It works wonders at delivering the nutrients plants need to thrive in your garden. Mushroom Compost makes for an excellent mulch and can be incorporated into the soil as a conditioner. It also helps retain moisture in your garden and improves soil microbiology.
Spread Mushroom Compost around flowering plants, trees and shrubs, vegetables and herbs. We recommend using a depth of 25mm when applied as mulch on top of existing soil.
Our Mushroom Compost complies with Australian Standard 4454-2012.
The Benefits of Mushroom Compost for Your Garden
Mushroom compost, also known as mushroom soil or mushroom substrate, is a type of organic material that is derived from the spent growing medium used to cultivate mushrooms. It is a popular choice for gardeners and has several benefits for your garden. Here are some of the benefits of using mushroom compost:
- Nutrient-rich: Mushroom compost is highly nutritious and contains a wide range of essential nutrients such as nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and various trace elements. These nutrients are vital for plant growth and development, promoting healthy foliage, flowers, and fruit production.
- Improved soil structure: Mushroom compost helps improve soil structure and texture. It has good water-holding capacity and drainage properties, allowing for proper moisture retention without waterlogging. The compost's fibrous nature also enhances the soil's aeration, promoting root development and overall plant health.
- Organic matter addition: Mushroom compost is an excellent source of organic matter, which is crucial for building and enriching garden soil. The organic matter improves soil fertility, increases microbial activity, and enhances nutrient cycling, resulting in healthier plants.
- pH balancing: Mushroom compost tends to be slightly acidic, which can be beneficial for plants that prefer acidic soil conditions. It can help balance the pH of alkaline soils and make them more suitable for acid-loving plants like azaleas, rhododendrons, and blueberries.
- Disease suppression: Mushroom compost has natural disease-suppressing properties. It contains beneficial microorganisms and enzymes that can help control soil-borne diseases, such as certain fungal pathogens. These properties can contribute to healthier plants and reduce the need for chemical interventions.
- Weed suppression: The use of mushroom compost as a mulch or soil amendment can help suppress weed growth. It forms a natural barrier on the soil surface, blocking sunlight and preventing weed germination. This can reduce the need for manual weeding or herbicide applications.
- Environmentally friendly: Mushroom compost is a sustainable and environmentally friendly option for soil improvement. It is typically made from renewable and recycled materials, such as agricultural waste products, making it an eco-conscious choice for gardeners.
When using mushroom compost, it's important to keep in mind a few considerations. First, it's best to allow the compost to age or mature before using it in the garden, as fresh mushroom compost can be too high in salts and ammonia, which may harm plants. Additionally, while mushroom compost is beneficial for most plants, some species may not tolerate its slightly acidic nature, so it's advisable to check the specific requirements of your plants before applying it.
Overall, mushroom compost can be a valuable addition to your garden, providing nutrient-rich organic matter, improving soil structure, and supporting healthy plant growth.
Our loads of gardening goodness will help bring your landscaping dreams to life. Order now and we will deliver direct to you or pick up your order from our High Wycombe depot.
Have a question about this product? Give us a call on 08 9454 5033.
Mushroom Compost Delivery (*8 cubic metre)
Prices exclude delivery costs. The delivery cost is calculated at checkout based on your address and the distance required to deliver the products to you.
The maximum quantity our truck can deliver for each product is different. The delivery capacity per truckload for this product is 8m3. If you require more than a truckload,
- Please complete your order first and,
- Make another separate order
This will help to avoid any delays in getting the gardening supplies to you.